Friday, November 19, 2010

Be the Mom!

This is a little phrase I say to myself some mornings when the alarm goes off and I don't really want to get out of bed. I say "Be the Mom!" to myself and out I come, semi-ready to take on the morning. I changed the phrase up a little this morning:

It was a late night with interrupted sleep. A 12 year old who doesn't want to wear his retainer kept appearing at my door. I was sleepy and 5:00 came early. So when the alarm went off I muttered to myself: "Be the runner! Be the runner!"

Here are few observations from the morning run and the week in general:

1. Walking into my house after an early morning run and finding my daughter (9 yrs. old) in the kitchen dressed, toast in the toaster with a diet coke in her hand waiting for me makes getting up that early worth it. That was a remember this moment!

2. Trudging through mud is this weeks theme. One of those weeks that went on forever and I never could get the fire lit under me. My runs followed suit and were a little discouraging this week.

3. Jill Webb is a good friend. I am sure she could get up at 5:00 and run 6 miles without thinking about it and yet she trudges along beside me listening to me whine and encouraging me to go on.

4. At miles 2.5 today I could no longer feel my feet. At all. Dead sound asleep. Not even the tingly kind of asleep. The dead weight kind of asleep. It was strange!

5.I went to the gym in my neighborhood to get a diet coke after I left Jill's this morning. I was thinking what a warm day it was going to be since it was so warm already at 6:15. Then I passed my neighbor out walking the dog in her large, down, ski jacket. I'm glad I didn't advise my kids on how to dress this morning!

6. Cypress Lake subdivision should be renamed The Mountains of Madison. Just sayin'!

7. In fitting form with the way this week has gone I walked into my house and looked down and realized....

I ran 3.94 miles with my shirt inside out!

No comments:

Post a Comment