Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year, New You! Blah!!!

Happy New Year!

Last week I came across an article in a magazine that was about some celebrity I've never heard of. The title of the article was a quote from her: "You can be beautiful as a size 2 or a size 12!" That would have been encouraging if she hadn't been a size 0. I'm pretty sure she hadn't had a meal in several years. It just made me mad.

In the grocery line today I picked up a People magazine and on the cover were three ultra skinny people and the tag line : "Half their size! Learn their secrets!" I don't want to know their secrets.

Everyday I get emails or junk mail or something about how I can be skinnier. You can't look anywhere without it being shoved in your face that you are not good enough the way you are.

So I have made a new years resolution.

They can shove it! That is not very nice talk so don't tell my mom I said that but its how I feel.

I never worried about my weight until I was in my mid twenties. I have now gained and lost the same 15 pounds for the last 13 years. I'm done. I threw the scale out a long time ago because I tend to have an obsessive personality and I would wake up each morning with the my first thought being "What is it going to say today?" Not necessarily a very healthy way to start your day. But here's the thing. When you are really skinny people tell you how good you look. When you gain weight they don't. I've been in the position of having lost a good bit of weight post baby and have everyone tell me how good I look. So I began to think if I lost 5 more pounds I'd look even better and sure enough I got even more compliments. So if loose 5 more pounds, etc.... It is exhausting physically and mentally to keep that up.

So I have 2 new years resolutions this year:
1) To run this race and to run it well. I want to finish strong. I'm excited that this is the year I will run my first 1/2 marathon. It is not something I ever thought I would do.

2) To exercise self discipline. I have some specifics in mind but it's not the normal exercise EVERY day or loose a million pounds. But the overall goal is to be healthy. I am going to begin to limit my Diet Coke intake. Slowly but surely I want to be down to 1 or 2 a day by the race. Also, both of my children have Celiac Disease. This means in a nut shell that they eat Gluten Free. Although I tested negative for the disease I am not convinced and am going to eat gluten free for at least 8 weeks.

I want to memorize more scripture and to help my kids memorize more scripture.

I am also going to exercise self discipline in my way of thinking. Rely on prayer and scripture to remind me that while that no name celebrity doesn't really think a size 12 is beautiful, my Savior does and His desire is for me to honor him. And in being healthy I can serve Him and honor him.

2011 is going to be great! Starting with refocusing after the holidays and kicking training into high gear!

Happy New Year Y'all!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment