Friday, February 11, 2011

Dropping Like Flies

Two weeks from right now I will be on my way to Disney world to run my first half marathon. I say first and not only because if I have learned anything over the last 4 months it's never say you won't do something.

We are down to the wire and I'm doing strange things like emailing the marathoners in my life and asking for advice. I'm reading online articles about tapering your runs and how to carb load gluten free. I've got a pile started in my bedroom of things to take with me.

I ran 5 miles on Tuesday and it was the best run I've had to date. The weather was good. I ran a good pace, I felt great, no aches and pains. I felt good when I finished. I was so excited.

Then it snowed. Again. What's up with that? It snowed once when I was a kid. Once.

Anyway, I finally made it back to the gym this morning and it makes me nervous to not be able to run at least 2-3 times a week. But I'm trying to remember that we are 2 weeks out and it's time to slow down. We do 10 miles tomorrow and then that's the last long run.

It is definitely time to slow down training because we are starting to drop like flies. There are 6 of us going. Among us we've had 2 possible stress fractures, some major hip issues and a fainting spell. It looks like we may all recover by the time we get there, but it's been an interesting few weeks.

I'm just hoping there is an elevator at Cinderella's castle, because....

I'm pretty sure the spiral staircase is out!


No comments:

Post a Comment