Friday, December 24, 2010

The Curse of the Cul-de-sac

First of all, I am way behind but last Sunday I ran 6.2 miles. By far the longest I have ever gone. 6.2 miles on Sunday morning lends itself to one heck of a nap on Sunday afternoon. It was worth it just for that.

When we built this house 4 years ago there were several reasons we chose this lot. First, we were desperate to find a lot and start building. Second, the builder only had 2 left. Third, we knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that we were supposed to move to Madison. Many factors contributed to the move but it has been such a great thing for our family. So lot #54 of Cypress Lake Estates it was. One of the things we loved most about this lot though was the location. We don't actually live in the cul-de-sac, but we are up on a little hill and look down into the cul-de-sac. We wanted lots of kids around and we got it. Counting the surrounding houses and the cul-de-sac their are 25 kids ages 12 and under. Neighborhood games of whatever sport is in season are nearly constant and its not unusual for boys wielding air soft guns to come screaming past my kitchen window. It's exactly what we wanted.

Until now. Now I hate the cul-de-sac.

It stands to reason that if you want to run 3 miles you go 1.5 miles out and then come back. Three miles. Right? Not in my world. It will be 2.6 or 2.85. Something just short of three miles. So we run the cul-de-sac until we reach the desired mileage. Maybe once around the cul-de-sac is not bad, but this is happening every time. Sometimes we have to run it twice. I don't know if the app we use is off or if we just can't count good, but I have a theory. I think it's the curse of the cul-de-sac. And it hit its peak last Sunday.

As I mentioned, we ran 6.2 miles Sunday. This was so much farther than I had ever been and I was feeling it by the time we came around the curve and I could see the house. That's when we realized the curse had struck again. We were going to have to run the cul-de-sac. This does a number on me mentally and I begin to whine. It's possible I was already whining but its all a blur.

We get to the house and we are at 5.79 or something like that. So around we go. and around. and around. At some point Jill lapped me and I had to keep going even after she hit 6.2. She stood at her car and watched me going in circles and laughed because I was so cock-eyed. Literally running sideways. But we did it!

Maybe it's to teach humility or maybe it's punishment for whining but

We have been cursed!


No comments:

Post a Comment